Monday, June 13, 2011

The Ides of June

I've been remiss about blogging. Things have just gotten crazy busy the last two weeks with classes, more classes, and oddly enough, a semi-social life. To catch on the things I've been doing...

Namsan Tower

I said I would get to Namsan every 2 months or so, but I didn't count on me going at night. I basically avoid namsan at night because it's even more of a couple destination then than in the daytime! Thanks to a friend for making me go~~ it is rather pretty :)





Sports Day!

My school held it's annual sports day, which was on a Saturday (I never work Saturdays), but I came in just to see the students. Each class made their own shirts/costumes and rather than being sports events like we think of in the States, they were more like games. Unexpectedly, I was forced to join the tug-of-war. Lost both times >__<


National Museum of Korea

I've been trying to cut down my spending, since summer vacation is coming up and I need to save up~~among other things I need to pay for~~so I've been trying to go to things that are free. And the National Museum of Korea (permanent collection) is exactly that. I really enjoyed this museum because it takes you through the history of the peninsula--from the paleolithic to the Joseon Dynasty.



The historian in me was really pleased with this timeline. It showed the accomplishments of the Korean people set against those of both China and the West. It definitely peaked my interest, since I am, as a historian of the West, more familiar with the European course of history, to see Korean history display against the events I know so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment