Sunday, June 19, 2011

Reunion with Totos, or, I eat very well in Korea

You might have remembered that I when I first got to Korea, I had to go through a 9 day orientation, where I was placed in one of four classes. Each class was led by a Korean English instructor, and ours was named Totos.

A few of the girls from our class came together last week to hold a mini-reunion with Totos!

We headed out to my favorite area of Seoul, Samcheongdong (삼청동). The area is known for its cute little shops, its coffee and tea houses, and being next to the Blue House. The whole area is quite quaint and just very charming.

And we basically went on a food crawl.

First up, macaroons at Cafe Amandier in Insadong (인사동).

(Mine: left column, top to bottom: Olive oil, coffee, sesame salted caramel)
(Friend's: right column, top to bottom: Tiramisu, green apple, chocolate hazelnut)

I've tried a lot of macaroons at Amandier, where a Belgium chocolatier makes a whole of other deliciousness besides macaroons, but olive oil I think is my favorite. yummmyyy.

After that, we were off to 삼청동 proper. First up, mandoo (만두), Korean dumplings.
these were amazing. this one was meat, but the best one was the vegetable one, not pictured.

From then we headed to get some soup and I wished I paid more attention to name of what I was eating, because it was really good. Seafood in soup is never a bad thing. Plus we had potato pancakes and I fail because I didn't take pictures of any of the food. So instead, here's us at the restaurant.

Julie, Totos, and Olivia

with Christina and Cherish

Lastly, we headed to one of the cute little cafes for coffee and dessert. Something that I like about Korea cafes is that Royal Milk Tea is almost always available :) For dessert? Giant waffle with green tea ice cream.

I eat very well in Korea.

It was a wonderful night spent in the company of good people, good conversation, and great food. Totos remains one of my favorite people, within Korea or not, and I admire her a lot. I can't wait for her wedding later this year :)

1 comment:

  1. haha, are waffles popular in Korea? They were the trendy new thing in Turkey. haha :)

    ReplyDelete