Saturday, September 17, 2011

Being Korean in Japan: Tokyo




This past week I had 5 days of vacation due to Chuseok (추석), or the Korean Thanksgiving holiday. A friend and I headed east towards Japan, visiting Tokyo and Kyoto.

My first impression of Japan/Tokyo is just how much more cleaner it is than Seoul. And everything seems much more orderly/symmetrical/organized than it does in Seoul. Oh, and that the city has more green spaces. And that the air quality to better.

Imperial Palace and the outer gardens. Doesn't quite look like Japan, right?




This was interesting. Very western styled buildings in the very modern downtown area of Tokyo.



Hand and mouth cleansing before entering temple...



acting the tourist.

Taking pictures and drawing things on it. Awesome and fun!

the ever popular Shibuya Crossing...

Hachiko statue with a Doggy under it!! Cutest!! :)

BAM! Tableside grilling :)

I realized on this trip how "korean" I had become during the almost 7 months I've been here in Korea. On the trip, someone called me and my friend "so Korean" which was interesting, and then there was the fact that I was speaking Korean to everyone haha.

Tokyo is such a big, interesting, vibrant place. So much to see and do and just experience. But I didn't only stay in Tokyo... but that's for the next post!

1 comment:

  1. Are you getting good at your Korean? Can't believe you've been there for 7 months!!

    Japan looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete