Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Please stop pushing me

There is very little about Korea that I find annoying. I try, as best as I can, to respect the culture differences between my home country and this place where I am living.

But after 7 months, I can safely say that cultural difference or not, I have to say this.

In Korea, there is a high respect for those older than you. This deference towards elders is everywhere--in the language, in the seating arrangements in subways/buses--and while this deference doesn't bother me at all (it actually makes me uncomfortable when it's not followed, since filipino people have a similar respect towards elders), what does get to me is a kind of reverse agism.

I will willing defer to elders, but that doesn't mean you get to treat me as less of a person. That just because I am younger than you doesn't mean you can treat me as if I don't exist. Please stop pushing me when there's so much room. Please stop cutting in front of me.

[line cutting!! omg this is so bad in korea! It goes against everything I've ever been taught in kindergarten and I can't help but look down upon those who cut in line. Totally judging you]

I exist as a person. I am clearly STANDING RIGHT HERE. why why why must you make me feel as if my person registers so far beneath you? The worst offenders are the ahjummas. Seriously annoying at times.

/end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment