Saturday, April 9, 2011

4.5: Album Review

This is for my kpoppers. I didn't do an album review for Big Bang's 4th Mini Album, Tonight, because it came out when I was at EPIK orientation and there was just no way I could manage a proper post. For the sake of consistency, I will only deal with the new songs from the Big Bang Special Edition Album.

Big Bang: Seungri, Taeyang, Daesung, G-Dragon, T.O.P

There is a verse printed on the cover: "May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, o Lord, my rock and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

This packaging was smarter than me. I was too scared to lift the plastic cover off for fear I'd snap it in half, but underneath it was the much coveted album book. I really liked how the clear plastic cover had the design of the skull on it, while the book underneath had the shape.

The goods: Album book, insert, YG Family card featuring G-Dragon.

The packaging is really sleek. Push the side and the CD pops out.

The Track List:
1. Love Song*
2. Stupid Liar*
3. Tonight
4. High High
5. Oh Yeah (feat. Park Bom)
6. Cafe
7. I need a Girl (feat. G-Dragon)
8. Somebody to Love
9. 어쩌라고
10. Baby Don't Cry (Daesung Solo)*

* indicates new songs released on the album. All others have been previously released.

Special Edition Album by sfuza_14
Love Song

I fell in love this song at first listen. YG had previously released a series of teasers for the song, featuring each individual member, and while I had an inkling that I would enjoy the song, I had no idea just how fast I would fall nor how deep. The song itself is an interesting mix of upbeat and downbeats underneath the pure voices of the members. I really have to thank Teddy for the arrangement of the vocals; the boys lend their voices to the song in ways the suit them best, each member highlighted in their strengths. Daesung doesn't have a lot of lines, but the ones he sings are probably the most memorable for me. Overall the song is really fresh and easy to listen to and even if it's a sad love song, it doesn't feel like it--it's light, airy, and uplifting. And "I hate this love song... I hate this love song" is really catchy.

Love Song has joined the ranks for my favorite Big Bang songs, ever.

Stupid Liar

When I first heard the teaser for Stupid Liar, I had an opposite reaction to the teaser of Love Song. I didn't love it at all actually. I had heard GD's cooing, which reminded me of Cafe, and the guitar rifts reminded me of Big Bang's previous "rock" genre attempt: Oh My Friend. And I was a fan neither of the cooing in Cafe, nor the song Oh My Friend. So you can see how I was not anticipating Stupid Liar in the same way as Love Song.

However, I was pleasantly surprised with Stupid Liar. This is another upbeat song that is really wonderfully composed, using more instrumentals during the chorus giving the song a "rock-like" feeling but the verses are laced with a beat that drive the song forward. The boys each take their respective turns with the song, layering fast and slow, high and low, but, much like Love Song, Daesung steals the show. The song is fun & a great demonstration of Big Bang's adapation to genre without compromise.

Baby Don't Cry (Daesung's Solo)

Daesung's solo track was first debuted at the Big Show 2011 back in February. To be honest, I didn't listen to this song until last night, despite hearing how wonderful the song was. The Big Show is still a sore spot for me, and I still refuse to see/hear anything related to the concert.

Basically I've been waiting for Daesung to release solo tracks. And songs of the caliber as Baby Don't Cry. Daesung has a uniquely beautiful voice. He's able to do powerful vocals, but there is a control, a certain depth, a profound quality in his voice that is unlike anyone elses. You hear Daesung sing and you just know that he was meant to be a singer. If he didn't sing, it would be a great loss for the whole world.

So having a voice like this, it's a damn shame that he doesn't yet have a solo album in which he can share it. I said earlier that Daesung doesn't have many lines in the Big Bang songs, but when he does, he leaves such an impression. With this solo track, Baby Dont Cry, I anticipate many things for his upcoming solo album.

The song is a bit downtempo from Love Song & Stupid Liar, and it's definitely something you can groove to. There are these random electro sounds in the background, but for the most part its a simple repetition of a beat and Daesung's voice. And that's all you need. Because Daesung has the quality of voice that can do so many things, that it alone is responsible for carrying the song through different build ups and subsequent releases. And Daesung does it effortlessly.

Overall

If the 4th mini-album was supposed to re-introduce Big Bang back to Korean audiences, I think the Special Edition hints at where Big Bang is headed towards next and what sound they will produce in their next album. The 4th mini album had a lot of electro-pop and the songs were loud and desgined to make a statement. That is not the case with the Special Edition. Things are less showy, less processed, less worked. The boys were not trying to make a bold statement with this release. Instead, the new songs let the music speak for itself, subtly hinting at whats to come.

I for one, am really excited for what they have in store for us in the future.

1 comment:

  1. hey! that's cool that they have a verse on the front :) I think you might have told me already, but is Christianity prevalent in S. Korea?

    ReplyDelete