Monday, April 25, 2011

Black Day 2011

This is such a late post but for the sake of thoroughness, I'm including it and don't care what anyone says.

April 14 is designated in Korea as Black Day.

Another day that centers upon whether or not you are coupled up.

February 14 is Valentines Day---here the girls give gifts to the boys.

March 14 is White Day---on this day it's the boys who give gifts to the girls.

April 14 is Black Day---where singles get together with the friends and eat jjajangmyeon (짜장면), which is a noodle dish with a dark soybean sauce that looks, fittingly, black.

If people back home like to think of Valentine's Day as singles awareness day, imagine having a single awareness day thrice in one year, with one day literally set aside so single people everywhere can cry into their bowls of jjajangmyeon!

I have to say that while I appreciate Korea giving Singles everywhere their own day to celebrate their singledom, because if couples get their day (days) then singles should get theirs too, right? But I think it's also quite funny because in giving singles Black Day, they are essentially pointing out their singleness as if they weren't aware of it on both Vday & White Day! And in Korea, everyone prefers to be in a couple instead of not, so being reminded three times a year is a bitter sort of pill to swallow. For Koreans. I however, love being single and jjajangmyeon is delicious so I waved my single flag proudly as I finally partook on in the festivities of a colored day. On Black Day I ate myself full with a bunch of other single friends.

And none of us were crying into our jjajangmyeon.

2 comments:

  1. hi, i'm Lyn and i'm from singapore. Read your blog and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. I'm really interested in teaching in Korea. I tried emailing the agent that you recommended in your blog, but they did not reply me, may i ask how did you get your job in Korea? Is there a need for me to be fluent in the korea language? So sorry to bother you but would appreciate if you could email me at lynsoh@hotmail.com. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete