Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Korean Classes

I've been trying to find a Korean course to take here. I really really want to learn the language & I want to learn it in a class because I've never, ever, been good at independent study/online courses. But finding a course has been harder than I thought it would be, considering I'm in Seoul. The problem lies in budget & time restrictions, as well is course focus.
  • I am limited to night and/or weekend classes, since I'm teaching during the week. There are many good programs that are available to me via tried and true universities, but their semesters have already started.
  • There are free or nearly free courses, but they have already all been filled for the upcoming month/semester.
  • Then there are the private centers I could attend, but these are ridiculously expensive (hagwon).
  • And lastly, there are the free ones that focus on conversation because they are language exchanges (groups usually meet over coffee to just talk). But they are a bit too casual for me, I think. I want to learn the language properly & not just random sentences to say to people to get what I want. These language exchange meet-ups I think are a good start just, but I definitely need grammar in there too. I've studied languages too much to not care about grammar.
However, today I found a course that was decently priced, still available, and focused on speaking as well as grammar. I went after school today to the center, and part of the registration process is go to through an interview. Essentially, they want to gauge what level you can understand and speak Korean. I literally was asked 3 questions, before I responded, in Korean, "I don't know." The man who interviewed me dropped the Korean after that & we spoke in English LOL. Like, I could have told him I need to be in the lowest possible level. But hooray, I start in April. I'm anticipating great things. In the meantime, back to some self study.

No comments:

Post a Comment