Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Birthday: part one, or why my students & teachers are awesome

To be honest I hadn't given too much thought about me celebrating my birthday for the first time so far away from home. After I finished writing my last blog post, I thought that I was in a good space. A few times previously, some of my students had come up to me asking me if I missed home, and while there are certain things I do miss, on the whole, I'm too busy trying to experience Korea to miss home. Because the thing is, if you think of the concept of "home" as a generality, you won't miss it...mostly because you'll be in the process of building a new concept of home.

But if you start thinking about particulars--the people, the weather, the food--that's when you can find yourself a bit homesick.

In any case, I went to school on Wednesday and went ahead teaching like normal. I hadn't really told anyone it was my birthday, since I didn't want it to be a big deal. I had told some of my students in passing the week before, and only because we were on the subject of birthdays.

It wasn't until maybe 3rd or 4th period that news broke that it was, in fact, Michelle teacher's birthday. I got sung to a lot that day. It was very cute. I actually didn't feel sad at all, until I thought about it. My voice lodged in my throat when, in the middle of expressing my thanks to my classes for their kind thoughts, I thought about how it was my first birthday away from home.

I'm telling you, you don't feel it until you stop and actually think about how far away you really are.

But then, came my very last class.

The bell rang for class to begin, and I hear my co-teacher tell the class to begin, and they all started singing "happy birthday" to me in english. I was suprised, of course, but what really got me was when I saw one of the students walking up with a "birthday cake" made out of choco-pies with a candle in it that was the number 2 lit. Taped onto the #2 candle was a paper question mark, since they didn't know how old I was turning. So everyone was singing, and then there was this cake, with its candle, and I thought about how I was so far away from home, and then I broke down into tears.

I had to turn away from my students for a good couple of minutes while I got myself together. And they were SO SWEET about it. "Teacher don't cry!" Don't cry!" they chanted at me. I was really moved, so I let them have the choco-pies.

And as if that wasn't enough! After school, a few students came to my desk with presents! They gave me a card that had a freaking cute message on the back, and this sandwich they purchased from a convenience store across the street. Incidentally, our chapter that we're studying is on tea--and I did this super elaborate lesson on all things tea because I love it so much--and in the process, I told them that I usually go out for tea on my birthday every year. So these girls got a tea bag and paper cup (I don't know where from), and gave it to me so I could have some tea on my birthday. I thought it was the sweetest thing in the world. What got me, was that I thought about how they must have ran to that convenience store RIGHT when school ended...and how they were probably looking at all the cards, trying to pick out which one they thought I would like. And the same with the sandwich. The sandwich was almost like a tea sandwich--crustless, filled with melon mousse. I kept thinking about how they were in the store, looking at what they could afford and what they thought I would like, and then running all the way back to school to give it to me before I left for the day.

I didn't cry, but I was super moved.

Also, I got a bunch of random things/candy/food. Since I hadn't told anyone, people were basically just giving me the things they had around, but the sentiment was there. My vice principal gave me some juice in the glass bottles they enjoy so much here. I was walking home, and a student saw me, stopped me, said "happy birthday teacher!" oh gift, gift!" Then reached into their coat pocket, pulled out a chupa-chup lollipop, and gave it to me. All while we were at an intersection. Another teacher MADE this crazy box and filled it with candy, wrote me a note in ENGLISH and passed it to an english teacher to give to me. He is a MATH teacher...and I'm not entirely sure I've ever met him before!

Today, the day after my birthday, another student wrote me this super cute note about feeling sorry that they didn't realize that yesterday was my birthday.

I've said this before and I'll say this again, Korean hospitality is so heart warming. I feel so undeserving, and yet truly grateful. I was, and still am, truly touched by the thoughts and sentiments of those I work with, and work for. I couldn't have asked for anything more on my birthday.

The gifts I got on the way home

The back of the card

today's belated birthday letter

No comments:

Post a Comment