Sunday, February 20, 2011

a note on language

Isn't it strange how here in america, we expect everyone to speak english. and when americans visit other countries, we continue to force everybody to speak english. I suppose that is the preogative of being a superpower/having english be the new international language of choice (sorry frenchies), but it is rather... gauche (see what I did there? lol).

In the states, people get so butthurt about how things are in english AND spanish, saying that "this is america! you should learn english!" & we expect foreigners to learn the language in order to communicate. we are, consistently, unwelcoming when we stumble across someone who can't communicate with us in the language of our choosing.

and when americans go abroad they still get butthurt when no one can understand them because they can't speak french or spanish or korean or whatever. they continue to force english on everybody, instead of learning the language of the that country.

we continue to be hypocrites.

I know when I go to korea, if I myself am not forcing english on everyone I meet, I'll be ever so grateful to the person or people who are patient with me as I stumble across my language problems. I'll be thankful for the english signs everywhere. I will feel an affinity to those who pity my struggles and speak to me in english.

No comments:

Post a Comment