Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Munchies: TACO SENORA, Busan

Being from Southern California, one of the things I find myself missing the most from back home is good Mexican food. There are places to get "Mexican" food here in seoul, but my one and only time doing so was such a disappointment that I gave up altogether. Because it just looks pathetic if you are crying into a burrito.

But in visiting Busan, I was led to this little taco shop and although weary, I took it as a good sign that the inside looked like this:

Taco Senora is this tiny shop that has become sort of like a pilgrimage sight for travelers in Korea in search for a culinary awakening.



Another good sign. Real avocados!

The menu is simple: burritos, tacos, fajitas, quesadillas. But their guacamole is fresh and is the best thing this side of the pacific, no joke.


The thing that I appreciate the most about Taco Senora is the attention given to each plate that goes out. Taco Senora tries to give an authentic experience--because you can get "Mexican" food in Korea, but wrapping rice & beans with cheese & lettuce in a tortilla does not mean you are having an authentic experience. Taco Senora tries to mimic the flavors of something I would eat back home--and sure, some things will be different as some ingredients won't be readily available here in Korea that are found in Latin American cuisine, but Taco Senora does it's best.

And it's best is pretty darn delicious. I nearly cried when I sat on the beach with my burrito...this time out of sheer happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment