Friday, January 28, 2011

this blog

I've been wondering lately about what I'm really going to do with this blog. Will it be a personal blog? A blog focused on me getting about in South Korea? Will it be kpop focused? A mixture of all of the things combined? If I use this blog on Korea/kpop, should I blog personal things over at Mirth? And, is that all far too complicated?

I started this blog for a couple of reasons: 1) to get away from a creepy creeperson and 2) to catalogue my new start in Korea. But my life is not always and completely defined by these things, and so I wonder where I should talk about them. I realize, truly, that it is quite vain of me to think that anything I say is of some importance, and therefore necessitates being blogged. But it is my vice, or perhaps just my habit, since I've been with blogger since, gasp, 2001. Does that age me or what. At least I never had a xanga.

Anyway, I'd be open to suggestions.

Finally, I'll leave with something neither Korea or kpop related. And yet it is something, or rather, someone, rather dear to me: Mr. Darcy. Or, in this case, Colin Firth--I sometimes (always) have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

It's the trailer of his movie, "The King's Speech" which has been nominated for 12 oscars. But beyond all of that, Mr. Darcy/Colin Firth is brilliant (when is he not?) and the movie itself is wonderfully heartfelt. Casting was excellent, although it seemed like every known British actor was cast in this movie, save Hugh Grant.

There was a sentimental pull at my heart when Jennifere Ehle, also known as Elizabeth Bennet in the 1995 BBC mini-series of Pride and Prejudice, the very series that made Colin Firth the quintessential Mr. Darcy, has a scene with Colin Firth-- our dear Lizzy Bennet spies Mr. Darcy emerging from the pond at Pemberley once more :)

[and going along with the BBC production of P&P and my mention of all British actors cast in this movie, the man who played Mr. Collins also appeared in "The King's Speech," which amazed me because I had thought the man had given up acting completely so he could take up residence with his wife Charlotte as a pastor whose parsonage abuts Lady Catherine Debourgh's Roslings Park.]

In "The King's Speeh," Darcy/Firth plays George VI as he struggles to overcome his stammer at a time when radio broadcasts were all the rage, and people needed to hear the voice of their king.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should blog about a combination of all of the above...everything that enters your mind through this time span of going to, being in and coming back from Korea. It's all related, because it is a capsule of time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything! (:

    your life will BE and consist of everything korea in less than a month. so it's only appropriate. besides why would you want to share anything with "creeper"? he gets satisfaction by being able to "check up on you"

    ReplyDelete