Friday, January 21, 2011

VVIP


My first true kpop post on this blog is dedicated to Seungri. He's the youngest member of my favoritest of favorite groups, Big Bang, and he just released his first solo mini-album: VVIP.

I don't know how to describe Seungri. For a long time he was my least favorite member of Big Bang, simply because I couldn't understand him. He's a decent singer and dancer, but he's famous for his confidence. Or should I say his overconfidence in himself that borders on smugness/selfishness. Some of the things he says about himself, I can't believe someone would say with their own mouth, let alone be completely serious about it. However, I want to stress that he's not a malicious guy, and his boasting never comes at the expense of someone else. He just likes himself a lot haha. I also take into consideration that he left his parents at 16 (c. 2006) to move to Seoul and debut in Big Bang.


Anyway, while Big Bang has been praised a lot for their music, it is usually due to the work of the hyungs (older brother members: G-Dragon, TOP, and Taeyang). Seungri has previously had a solo single in 2008, Strong Baby, and has had a solo song on Big Bang's album, but on the whole, there has been verrry little out there that lays out his musical interests/perspective.

Well, Strong Baby came back in a big way. His mini-album (7 songs), VVIP, has his handiwork all over it--which I know, should be the way things work, but again, in kpop "idols" rarely write/compose/produce their own music. Seungri really stepped up and took charge of his music with VVIP and I for one, was pleasantly surprised and truly impressed.

The Album

VVIP by 180888@tumblr

The Music Videos

1. So What


2: VVIP


The Comeback

Seungri made his first performances yesterday on MCD. He performed VVIP & So What, with a bit of Open Window.



I'm not a huge fan of VVIP (the song) but the live performance is fun and.... interesting lol. He's 20 years old, but he's been at this for almost 5 years now, and you can tell. There are other 20 year old's that are just debuting in a group and they are no where near as polished as he is as a performer. The boy is seasoned.

I'm such a fan of this mini-album. I think it was really well put together. And the quality of production was some of the best I've heard from YG in a bit. And Seungri' sounds so great! He gets a lot of hate for his vocals because he's in a group with Taeyang (honey-voiced) and Daesung (powerful pipes). He's constantly being compared to them and is labeled the "useless" member in the group. But I think he's improved a lot and grown up a lot with this mini-album. So kudos to him!

Last thing I want to say is... Seungri is Big Bang's maknae, youngest. If this is the work that the youngest is producing, imagine the hyungs...and then imagine the 5 of them together. Can't wait for their comeback!

2 comments:

  1. while you're on the subject of kpop...check out this video. haha.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNxc9jicvE&feature=feedu

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha ashley, this is great! BOA is fantastic and this girl did her hair PERFECTLY. I'm seriously amazed!

    ReplyDelete